The title of this blog post has me a little nervous of what people will think of me…. just kidding. ; )
As women we have, in general, become very disconnected from our vaginas.
In my ever-expanding experience, and consequentially, my world view the physical is ALWAYS, always connected to the emotional, the spiritual and the mental. In a society that tends to restrict acceptable “femininity” to a small and confusing box, it’s no wonder that the physical representation of female power, feminine anatomy, is also experiencing a lot of restriction, shame, pain, and ultimately lack of true care.
My sisters! Our vaginas and womb-spaces are sources of deep, deep power. They are the source of literally all human life! They are the source of our deepest physical pleasure. This is why connecting to and living in tune with our monthly cycles is so healing.
Our womanly power sources deserve better care, and I ain’t talking about Brazilian bikini waxes or labia reduction surgeries (which, by the way, is the fastest growing type of cosmetic surgery..WTF??). Brazilian waxes and labiaplasty are externally focused on ideas of what is “attractive” or “desirable” and have nothing to do with how we feel about our own bodies; when we’re alone. I’m talking about ancient methods of balancing our hormones, bringing non-judgmental love, attention and focus to this place in our bodies that holds so much intuitive power.
This area of our body is also the home of the root chakra, the energy center that deals with a sense of belonging and safety in the world. When it’s out of balance we can feel anxious, worrisome, unsafe, develop constipation, back pain, or eating disorders.
To tap into the unbridled feminine power we’ve got to get super comfortable with and take really good care of our vaginas.
I’ve got a lot to say about this subject, but to ease everyone into this I’ve decided to go over two practices that can help us care for our vagina and womb-space.
- Vagina Steaming
Vaginal (aka yoni, the sanskrit word for vagina) steaming is an ancient practice that has been used for millennia in the eastern world. It is a practice in which a woman allows the warmth of herbal steam to permeate the exterior of her vagina. Respected by healers around the globe, vaginal steaming is an opportunity to reconnect with your body and utilize the wisdom of plant medicine to heal your cycle.
Vaginal steams have been found by women throughout history to:
- Significantly reduce pain, bloating and exhaustion associated with menstruation.
- Decrease menstrual flow as well as reduce dark purple or brown blood at the onset or end of menses.
- Regulate irregular or absent menstrual cycles.
- Increase fertility
- Speed healing and tone the reproductive system after birth.
- Reduce uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness, uterine prolapse & endometriosis.
- Assist with the repair of a vaginal tear, episiotomy, or C-section scar.
- Assist with the healing of hemorrhoids.
- Relieve chronic vaginal/yeast infections, and works to maintain healthy odor.
- Ease symptoms of menopause including dryness or pain during intercourse.
- Detoxify the womb and remove toxins from the body.
- Release stored emotions and tap into the energy that is our creative potential.
To give yourself a vaginal steam fill a large vase (you want about 2 quarts to 1 gallon of water) with almost boiling water, put about a cup dried balancing herbs (I like these ones but also check out these herbs that are considered good for vaginal steaming).
Place the vase in a clean toilet, remove all pants and underwear (or wear a skirt with no undies) so that you can place your vagina over the steam.
Then wrap your lower half in a blanket and enjoy the steam.
You want to sit for at least 20 minutes, closer to 40 minutes is ideal. Use this time to meditate, listen to music, or journal. Try not to read or get on your phone. Use this time to connect to your womb-space and secrets it has to tell you.
2. Vaginal Egg Wearing
A vaginal egg, jade egg, yoni egg or love egg – are names for a beautiful semiprecious stone carved into an egg shape and polished to be worn inside the vagina.
Female practice that involves using stone eggs is estimated to be 5000 years old. Eggs carved out of jade were used by empresses and concubines of the royal palace in China to access sexual power, awaken sensuality and maintain amazing health into their old age. For a very long time this secret practice was only available to members of the royal family, and up until recently – to select Taoist practitioners.
Vaginal egg wearing is known to have the following effects..
- Increase libido and awaken your sensuality.
- Increase natural lubrication – even after menopause.
- Can help harmonize hormones.
- Develop an intimate and loving relationship with your vagina, your entire body, and ultimately yourself.
- Strengthen and tighten vaginal wall and increase sensitivity during intercourse.
- Help to have easier orgasms
- Assist in strengthening uterine muscles to prepare for childbirth and speed up recovery time after birth.
- Strengthen pelvic floor to cure incontinence and prevent prolapse in the future.
- Gain Control over the vaginal muscles.
- Reduced PMS symptoms, menstrual cramps and the duration of the menses.
To learn more about vaginal egg wearing or get your own vaginal egg check out this website.
What do you think? Are you up for trying this? Send me a line and let me know!